Concrete Edging Warranty & Care Information
1. Your concrete will begin to harden in the next 4-6 hours. Although it may seem to be cured, it is not. Concrete takes 28 days to fully cure and realize its potential strength. However the next 48 hours are the most critical. Your edging will remain very brittle and can easily crumble or break during this time frame. Keep pets, children, service people, and objects completely off of, and away from the edging for the next 48 hours.
2. Landscape work, sod laying and mulching can begin as early as 48 hours from now if necessary, however, caution must be taken as picks, shovels, and other garden tools can easily damage the new concrete. The front bracket of wheelbarrows can easily scratch or chip the edging if the tire is on the curb while dumping. Drive over the edging then dump inside the bed to avoid damage.
3. If you have a landscape contractor working for you, caution him about protecting the curb from damage. If dirt, rock, mulch or heavy plants must be wheel barrowed over the edging repeatedly, build a dirt or plywood ramp over the edging to distribute the weight. Never allow heavy vehicles or tractors to drive over the edging.
4. You may run the wheels of your lawnmower on the edge once it has cured. Note, however, that if mower decks or other hard objects scrape along the concrete, the concrete may be scratched. Wait at least 2 weeks to weed eat the concrete.
5. Your edging has been sprayed with 2 coats of commercial grade acrylic concrete sealer. The high-gloss sheen will dull to a semi-gloss with time and weathering. Once the sealer has dried (typically within an hour), light rain will not affect the concrete.
6. Do not turn sprinkler systems back on for at least 48 hours. The concentrated drilling effect of a sprinkler head can etch or leave lines in uncured concrete. Occasionally hard water will produce efflorescence (white powdery appearance) on the concrete. These are mineral deposits. Should efflorescence appear, mix white vinegar 50/50 with tap water and lightly brush the surface to remove.
7. If Roundup® was sprayed on grass in new beds; it is preferable that those areas remain dry for the next 8 hours. After 24 hours, watering will actually expedite the killing process. It may take 7-14 days for the grass to completely die. Be patient. A 2nd application may be required to touch up areas not dying out. Mulching can begin immediately and will help to kill the grass. Although not necessary, once the grass is brown, it can be easily removed by raking or weed eating.
8. Your edging may appear splotchy and discolored over the next few days. This is a natural part of the curing process as moisture dries out of the concrete. Ultimately, the color will dry a few shades lighter than today but may darken again temporarily when it is wet.
9. All gutter downspouts and sump pump piping should be directed over or under the edging and into the yard. High concentrations of water run-off into landscape beds can cause foundation problems, root rot in plants and unstable ground shift around the edging resulting in cracking. Conversely, drought can be equally damaging. Keep lawns watered to minimize ground shrinkage due to expansive clay soils found in the mid-west. Your edging may separate or crack under drought conditions and will not be covered under warranty. Installation of cable reinforcement will all but eliminate this issue, however, extreme forces can still prevail.
10. A word about cracking. Concrete edging like any other type of concrete, can and will crack under certain conditions. We experience very little cracking in our products due to prevention techniques. However, it is likely that you will experience some cracking in your concrete edging. Repairs can be difficult to make in concrete and can require costly tear out and replacement. It is nearly impossible to get an exact color match and sometimes the “cure is worse than the ill”. A small crack is much less noticeable than a patch or discoloration in the edging. Hairline cracks, weathering, and scratching all add to the natural look and character of the edge.
11. Cable reinforcement does not eliminate cracking, however, when installed, cable greatly reduces the effects of cracking by eliminating the ability of the crack to open up or shift. Cable reinforcement performs exactly like the rebar in your driveway and is a wise investment.
12. There may be a void in front of the edging where the sod has been removed. This is normal. Although it is not mandatory (the grass will grow back naturally) you may want to replace a small amount of topsoil back into this void and re-seed.
13. The only maintenance your edging requires is periodic re-sealing. We recommend re-sealing once after the first year, then every third year to maintain concrete in the best possible condition. We can provide this service for a very reasonable fee. *See surface warranty below.
Your edging was undamaged at the time we left it in your custody. If the edging becomes damaged after we leave, we will gladly return to fix the problem. However, there will be a minimum $85.00 charge for the first hour, plus materials, to return in the ¾ ton service truck. If the solution requires a full crew and the installation truck, our service charge minimum of $350.00 + materials will be billed for this service and is payable in advance. Additional time will be billed at $65/labor hour or our current labor rate. PLEASE TAKE PROPER STEPS TO PREVENT PROBLEMS FROM OCCURING!
TEN (10) YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (Effective 2009): MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP ARE GUARANTEED FOR TEN (10) YEARS FROM DATE OF INSTALLATION: Defective product will be repaired or replaced at no charge if the defect is caused by the materials we’ve used or the way it was installed by our crew. Although problems are rare, concrete edging can and will crack when subjected to excessive ground movement. The SHARPER EDGE® does not guarantee or imply otherwise. Occasional cracking is expected and will not be replaced under this warranty. This warranty expressly excludes damage due to rust, ice melt, salts, fertilizer or other chemical damage, vandalism, tree roots, excessive ground movement, separation due to drought, neglect or abuse. Warranty will apply to all projects which are inspected and re-sealed by The SHARPER EDGE® one (1) year after install, and at a minimum every third (3rd) year thereafter. Failure to re-seal on schedule will void warranty. Damage from impact, abrasion, efflorescence, stains or discoloration is specifically not covered under this warranty. At our discretion, concrete which exhibits spalling, flaking, crumbling or other issues due to weathering or material issues will be replaced at no charge within five (5) years of installation and fifty percent (50%) of the current cost in years five (5) thru ten (10). Current minimums will apply.
Copyright © 2017 Sharper Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved